Logan Boyce's story of survival

Logan Boyce and his mom Casey Palmer. Photo by: Cory McCubbin/KHQA

February 14th is Logan Boyce's 22nd birthday.

Logan lives in Hannibal, and this may be his happiest birthday ever.

That's because around Christmas, he and his family didn't know if he would even make it to his next birthday.

"When they called for the crash cart, you think he's dying," said Casey Palmer, Logan's mom.

Doctors didn't have to use the crash cart, but Logan still thought he was dying just before Christmas 2017.

"Me and my buddy were heading to Quincy to buy Christmas presents," said Boyce.

"All of a sudden, my heart starts going really fast," said Boyce.

"Got tunnel vision while he was driving," said Palmer.

"Faster than it's ever gone before," says Boyce.

"He and his friend had to both pull over the truck," said Palmer.

"I got super dizzy," said Boyce.

An ambulance took him to the hospital, where he stayed overnight. He was discharged with some medicine to treat high blood pressure. The next day, Logan and his mom, Casey set out to finish the Christmas shopping that didn't get done the day before. They were on their way to Quincy, when they realized the store where they were going was closed, so they turned around and headed back to Hannibal.

"And he said it's coming. I said what's coming? I thought there was another car. he said, no mom...I'm dying. He grabs his shoulder and his chest and you could see his heart and all the way up his neck was just beating. He said he couldn't see," said Palmer.

They went to the Emergency Room. Doctors were able to keep him in check with medicine, before he was taken to Barnes Hospital in St. Louis the day after Christmas.

"In just one day, I went from being really healthy, and having no problems at all to boom, now everything's changed," said Boyce.

During his stay at Barnes, Logan had a pacemaker and a defibrulator put in. He's spent the last few weeks healing, and adjusting to his new lifestyle. He tells me he hates having that equipment in him, but at the same time, he loves it because he knows it may one day save his life.

"I know that we caught it at an early age. It's going to keep me doing what I love to do. If I didn't have it, something bad could happen. It's better than not being here," said Boyce.

The sole reason Logan agreed to do this story is because he wanted to let people know they need to pay attention to their bodies, no matter their age.

Looking back, he'd been having episodes for a few months.

He thought they were panic attacks, when in reality, they were warning signs that something wasn't right.

The main piece of advice from this family, if something isn't right, no matter how small it may seem, tell your doctor about it.

The family has set up a GoFundMe page to help with medical expenses.

Click here for more.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off