Beginning May 1st, 2019, the following changes will be implemented to Quincy’s Solid Waste Collection program:
- The price for garbage will increase to $1.50 for a small bag (2 blue stickers or 1 red sticker) and $3.00 for a large bag over 16 gallons (4 blue stickers or 2 red stickers).
- The City will not order “red” stickers until the supply of blue stickers has been depleted.
- The price for the City garbage tote service will remains at $12.99 per month for a 96 gallon tote. Residents can sign up for the program by contacting the Department of Utilities at 217-2284580. A one-time delivery fee of $60.00 will be charged for new customers. Bags inside a city garbage tote do not need a sticker.
- Residents who use more than 4 large bags a month will save money utilizing the garbage tote program versus the sticker program.
- ALL garbage bags, regardless of service provider, must be in a bin with a lid.
- Private haulers must identify their customers with their company’s name on the front of the trash containers they collect.
Garbage Tote Program
- The Garbage Tote Program costs $12.99 per month (per garbage tote) and charges are applied to the customer’s utility bill.
- Residents pay a one-time tote delivery fee of $60.00 for a 96 gallon City garbage tote. This fee can be paid at the time of sign-up or added to the customer’s utility bill. The garbage tote is property of the City of Quincy and must be returned to the City if the customer no longer chooses to participate in the Garbage Tote Program.
- Additional garbage totes can be leased for $60.00 per tote (up to 4 totes).
- To sign up for the Garbage Tote Program, please call the Department of Utilities at (217)228-4580 or sign-up in person at City Hall located at 730 Maine Street.
- Garbage bags placed in the City’s garbage tote DO NOT require garbage stickers.
- All garbage must be in garbage bags and cannot be loose in the garbage tote.
- The 96 gallon garbage tote holds eight to ten 16 gallon garbage bags.
- The City of Quincy will replace damaged or stolen garbage totes at no charge.
Residents have the option to hire a private company for garbage collection. Visit the City’s website at www.quincyil.gov/goverment/CityDepartments/CentralServices for a list of approved private garbage haulers.
If you have additional questions about the City’s garbage collection programs or garbage service, please call the Department of Central Services at (217)228-4500.
On May 1st, 2019 the City will switch to an opt-in recycling program.
Opt-In Recycling Program
- Residents may opt into the program by calling the Department of Utilities or by signing up at City Hall. Residents will need their utilities account password to sign-up over the phone.
- The cost is $5.00 a month to participate in the city’s recycling program.
- A resident’s first tote will be free. Residents can purchase one additional recycle tote for $7.00. (The monthly cost will remain the same.)
- Customers who opt-in prior to May 1st will have a new recycle tote delivered to their home. After that date residents can pick up their tote at city hall or one will be delivered to them.
- Residents may place their orange recycle tote next to their garbage and the City will collect it after May 1st.
- There is no change to what items are able to be recycled in the program. (Plastic containers bearing 1 or 2, tin food or beverage cans, newspapers, magazines, office paper, junk mail, corrugated cardboard, container board)
- The City of Quincy Recycling Program is an OPT-IN program that costs $5.00 per month. Charges are applied to the customer’s utility bill.
- Customers will receive a new City of Quincy recycling tote. This tote is property of the City of Quincy and must be returned to the City if the customer no longer chooses to participate in the Recycling Program.
- One additional recycling tote can be leased for a one-time charge of $7.00.
- The City of Quincy will replace damaged or stolen recycling totes at no charge.
- Any resident desiring to return the orange City of Quincy recycling totes, may set the bins out with their garbage.
The Public Safety Fee of $4 a month charged to City of Quincy utilities customers within city limits will expire on May 1st, 2019