MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

UPDATE: Early morning electrical fire damages Keokuk bed and breakfast

Viewer submitted photo by Ed Hop.

UPDATE - Monday, July 23, 2018 - 5:00pm

Keokuk Fire Department confirms with KHQA that the cause of fire has been determined as electrical.

A window air conditioning unit failed and caused the fire, which traveled up a pipe chase to the 3rd floor of the building.


UPDATE - Monday, July 23, 2018 - 5:00am

One of the most iconic homes in Keokuk went up in flames early Saturday morning.

An investigation is underway after portions of the Grand Ann Bed and Breakfast caught fire just before 3:30 Saturday morning.

As of now, the Keokuk Fire Department does not have a cause for the fire,.

No one was in the bed and breakfast at the time due to a power outage from Thursday's severe thunderstorms.

General manager Cretia Hesse says the home means a great deal to Keokuk.

"Wow...A huge piece of history. A beautiful piece of history, we operated like a ministry if you will, people came in off the beaten paths out there for r&r here."

Officials with KFD say the fire was contained mostly to the attic, but the entire home suffered water and smoke damage. It's unclear if and when it'll reopen.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ORIGINAL STORY

An investigation is now underway into an early morning fire in Keokuk.

The fire broke out at 816 Grand Avenue, which is listed as the Grand Ann Bed and Breakfast.

All Keokuk firefighters were called out to the scene.

A few firefighters remained on the scene just before 7:00am, but most of them had returned to the station.

KHQA will get you more information as we get it.









close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off

Trending