Community wide recycling event in Keokuk
Get ready now for Keokuk’s community-wide Recycling Event!
The event will be held on Tuesday, September 25th from 7:00 a.m. until 1:00 p.m. at the Faith Family Church parking lot at 2323 Main behind the Burger King in Keokuk.
- Station 1: General Recycling: Will accept glass, tin cans, aluminum, and plastics. Bring items in loose containers. Please don’t mix “regular” trash with general recyclables.
- Station 2: Bicycle drop off (working or otherwise) to be fixed by inmates of the Iowa State Penitentiary and gifted to families in need.
- Station 3: Household Hazardous Waste for Lee County, Iowa residents only. (no commercial waste). Collection includes: Cleaners, solvents, oil based paints, lawn and garden products, fluorescent bulbs and thermometers, rechargeable batteries etc. * Motor oil and Antifreeze * (up to 5 gallons per resident). No appointments required. To make appointment for commercial waste please contact sponsor Great River Regional Waste Authority (GRRWA).
- Station 4: E-Waste, Electronics and Appliances Recycling: Accepting electronics such as computers, laptops, TVs, refrigerator, microwaves, pretty much anything that plugs in or runs on batteries. Individuals may recycle three items free of charge. Each item thereafter will be a $10 fee.
- Station 5: Eyeglasses in reasonable condition will be collected by the Keokuk Lion’s Club.
- Station 6: Used clothing in good condition will be collected by Goodwill of the Heartland.
- Station 7: Used Books - The Keokuk AAUW Chapter will accept soft and hard covered books for resale. No encyclopedias or textbooks.
- Station 8: Secure Document Destruction and Paper Recycling: Perform shredding of confidential documents (paper clips & staples OK). Accepting office paper, corrugated cardboard, phone books, newspaper, magazines, junk mail, clean food boxes and containers, cereal boxes. Not accepting: Carbon paper. Sponsored by North Cedar South Recycling
Along with the Community wide recycling day, comes the Fall City Wide Cleanup.
The City of Keokuk will provide each household within city limits two free vouchers for one free trip to the Lee County Transfer Station. Starting September 24th, please bring a water bill to the upstairs of City Hall at 415 Blondeau Street to receive your vouchers. Vouchers will be accepted through October 13th.