Why you should keep Easter lilies far, far away from your cats


    As beautiful as they are, don't bring lilies into your house if you own a cat.

    If you have cats, you understand that no flower is safe from their paws or jaws—they chew on everything! And with Easter right around the corner, you should be mindful of the plants you bring in your house. While Easter lilies are beautiful, these flowers are toxic and often fatal to cats. a

    According to the FDA, "Lilies in the 'true lily' and 'daylily' families are very dangerous for cats. The entire lily plant is toxic: the stem, leaves, flowers, pollen, and even the water in a vase." All it takes is for your cat to chew just a small amount of a leaf or flower petal, lick a few pollen grains off its fur while grooming, or drink the water from the vase for your cat to develop fatal kidney failure in less than three days—it's scary stuff!

    If you think your cat may have ingested any part of a lily, contact your vet immediately. And if you have lilies in your home, remove them immediately, and be on the lookout for the following signs and symptoms.

    • Sluggishness
    • Drooling
    • Vomiting
    • Loss of appetite
    • Dehydration

    It is possible to treat a cat from lily toxicity, but recovery is often extensive and costly. Check out the ASPCA's website for a full list of plants that are toxic and non-toxic to pets.

    Have a question about pet health? Want to become the best possible pet parent? Find helpful tips, reminders, and insight to giving your furry friend the best possible care with For Pet's Sake! Learn more at drdevonsmith.com.

    News In Photos

      Loading ...