Free tax returns in Adams County
Thu, 13 Jan 2011 15:35:09 GMT —
The United Way of Adams County will provide free tax returns. This is the fifth year the United Way has offered the program.
Appointments are now available with the Volunteer Tax Assistance Program (VITA).
We spoke with Sara Reuschel at the United way and she says the agency is trying to beef up its volunteer program in hopes of offering more appointments this year. Reuschel says the agency prepared 345 returns last year and expects that number to grow this year.
Trained VITA volunteers prepare basic tax returns for working families and individuals with low or limited incomes. The VITA program is located at the United Way office at 936 Broadway, Suite F, Quincy, Ill. The program kicks off on January 26th and runs until April 18th. It is by appointment only. You can call the office at (217) 222-5020 Ext. 200 or log on to United Way of Adams County.
When you arrive to have your taxes prepared, you will need to bring a few things with you:
- Proof of Identity for all adults filing a return;
- All W-2's and forms that may be associated with federal and state income taxes or any income received by anyone in the household;
- Social Security cards of everyone in the household;
- Previous years tax returns;
- A voided check or savings account number for direct deposit of tax return;
- Child care providers identification number if applicable.
If filing jointly, both individuals must be present to sign the return form.
We did a little research and found that the average tax preparation service is getting ready to face a lean market this year. Economic hard times have put people on their toes. Some have learned to file their 1040 on their own. You can find more information from Smartmoney.com here.