What you need to know about roadways this weekend
Fri, 20 Dec 2013 17:16:20 GMT —
As you ready yourself and your family to travel for the Christmas holiday weekend, state law enforcement officials are urging extreme caution and preparation before you head out the door.
If you absolutely must travel and you haven't left before the bad winter weather strikes, the Illinois State Police offered its recommendations for staying safe on the highway.
- Avoid traveling until conditions are favorable.
- Check your travel destinations before leaving, some areas will be worse than others.
- Watch out for black ice, roads that appear clear but actually are ice covered
- Dress warm and take a cell phone in case of emergency
- Slow down and increase your following distance, be cautious when approaching intersections, off ramps, and bridges.
- Always keep your gas tank two-thirds full to prevent the vehicle's fuel line from freezing.
- Plan ahead, Allow extra time to your destination, make sure others are aware of your travel route.
- Look ahead for and anticipate possible hazards - Understand the posted speed limit is too fast for driving conditions - Wear a seat belt
- Always carry an emergency car care kit that contains jumper cables, flares or reflectors, windshield washer fluids, small ice scraper, traction material, blankets, non-perishable food and a first aid kit.
Getting Around Illinois - http://wrc.gettingaroundillinois.com/pages/wrc.htm
Road Conditions - http://traveler.modot.org/map/
Road Conditions - http://hb.511ia.org/main.jsf
Download KHQA's free app for your Android device or iPhone. Search your app store for KHQA and install the app. Then you can adjust your settings to get our News Alerts, Weather Alerts and more via push notification.
to learn about more ways to follow KHQA.