Weather hampers Hannibal firefighters' efforts

      One man got out safely and firefighters rescued several pets from 1310 Union Street in Hannibal overnight.

      The fire department got an emergency call at 10:44 p.m.

      Dean Noah was at home when the fire started, he and his pets got out safely.

      Twelve firefighters, two engines, a ladder truck, the rescue truck and the Command vehicle responded to the house fire.

      Seven more firefighters were called in to assist.

      They found fire in the basement of the house, and it has spread throught he wall into the attic.

      It took about half an hour to contain the fire, but firefighters remained on the scene for two hours and 45 minutes.

      Response and firefighting efforts were hampered by the severe weather conditions.

      The cause of the fire was combustible materials being too close to a kerosene heater.