Update: State review sought in police shooting probe

Investigators comb the site near 14th and North Carolina streets where shots were fired following a high-speed chase Saturday night.

/ Courtesy: Brent Engel,Hannibal Courier-Post

UPDATED: June 7 at 4:35 p.m.

The Louisiana Press-Journal is reporting that the state has cleared two police officers of any wrongdoing in a fatal chase last fall.

In a letter dated June 7, they say the Missouri Attorney General TMs office told Pike County Judge David Ash that there was no reason to charge officers Jody Blaylock and Bryan Richardson.

The two officers shot and killed 39-year-old Timothy Chrisman of Vandalia after a high-speed chase through Louisiana on Oct. 30, 2010.

It was unclear how soon the two officers could be back to work. They were put on paid administrative leave following the shooting. The city has spent more than $41,000 in pay to the officers since the incident.

The two officers, along with Police Chief Rich Hughes and the city, still face a federal civil lawsuit filed by Chrisman TMs family.


UPDATED: May 16 at 3:30 p.m.

The former city attorney for Louisiana Missouri has filed a lawsuit against the city's police department.

The case stems from the shooting death of Timothy Chrisman last October.

The suit claims that two of the city's police officers used excessive force. Both officers and the Louisiana Police chief are named in the suit.

Chrisman was killed after he allegedly backed up his pickup truck at three police officers. Police fired 14 shots at the suspect.

A ruling on whether the shooting was justified or not by the Missouri State Attorney General's Office is still pending.


UPDATED: Tuesday, Jan. 18, 2011

A Northeast Missouri prosecutor has asked the state to review an unpublished report about a fatal shooting involving two police officers last fall in Louisiana.

The Hannibal Courier-Post reports Pike County Prosecuting Attorney Mark Fisher made the request of the Missouri Attorney General's Office to avoid a conflict of interest.

Two Louisiana officers fired upon a pickup driven by 39-year-old Timothy Chrisman of Vandalia after a high-speed chase on Oct. 30. Chrisman died at the scene.

The Attorney General's office will decide whether there was any criminal responsibility in the case.


Wednesday, Jan. 5, 2011

A final report isn't finished, but it looks like two Louisiana, Missouri police officers will not face charges in a deadly shooting.

Back in October, the officers fired on a pickup driven by Timothy Chrisman of Vandalia after a high speed chase.

The Hannibal Courier-Post reports the officers are still on paid administrative leave, but one has been cleared to come back on light duty.

A final report is expected from the Missouri Highway Patrol.