MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

Two fires damage homes and leave one person injured on Sunday

Two Ralls County fires damage homes and leave one person injured on Sunday

Hannibal Rural Fire Protection District firefighters were called at 8:46am to the report of a structure fire in Ralls County at 11391 Rusk Trail (off of Missouri 79). Neighbors met the fire department on Marblecreek Road and took Chief Dobson to the structure via four wheel drive truck. The structure had already burned to the ground and the owner, Billy Miles was standing outside the structure and told firefighters that he had tried to battle a fire that started around a woodstove and then exited the structure. He complained of burns to the hands and head area and was transported by the neighbor by the four wheel drive vehicle to a Marion County Ambulance that was staged on Marblecreek Road. Miles was transported to Hannibal Regional Hospital for treatment of his injuries. Access to the structure was not possible for the fire department pumpers due to a creek crossing and a sharp turn in the gravel lane that led back to the structure. The Red Cross was requested to assist Miles as he was not insured. The structure was a total loss and Miles stated that several pets were lost in the fire. Firefighters were on the scene until 10:00am. New London Fire Department had been dispatched to assisted but after it was found out that there was no access to the building they were cancelled.

The fire department would like to remind rural property owners that they should plan their roads to their homes to be accessible to both EMS and fire department vehicles. Plan for 10 foot road widths and be aware of overhead obstructions that might keep an emergency vehicle from reaching your home. Addresses should be posted to be seen from the roadway so that responders can find you.

At 5:16pm Hannibal Rural Fire Protection District firefighters were called for the report of smoke coming from the attic at a home located at 25 Lela Lane (which is in the Clear Creek subdivision, off US 61). The home, a two story 2000 square foot structure is owned by Michael and Christy Adams. The family was enjoying Christmas eve around a wood burning fireplace. The Adams told firefighters that they heard popping sound coming from the attic and outside observed smoke coming from a sewer vent pipe. Firefighters arrived on scene and found a fire in the attic and was able to gain access through a attic access in one of the two upstairs bathrooms. Hannibal Fire Department was called to assist with the fire with an additional pumper and crew. While the fire was fought in the attic, firefighters assisted the family in removing all their wrapped Christmas presents outside to family vehicles. Firefighters were able to limit the fire damage to the attic after pulling ceilings and walls in both upstairs bathrooms to gain access to the fire. Fire damage was limited to the attic. The home suffered water damage to the main floor and basement. The fireplace flue will be listed as the cause of the fire. The family advised that they would be staying with Mrs. Adams parents were they and their children will spend their Christmas morning unwrapping the presents the firefighters helped to save. Firefighters were on the scene until 8:40pm. There were no injuries reported. Marion County Ambulance personnel stood by while firefighters fought the fire.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off

Trending