63 / 38
      43 / 34
      42 / 35

      Two people rescued from State Street house fire in Quincy

      Investigators have labeled Wednesday's fire at 633 State Street as "undetermined."The fire erupted inside a home at 633 State St. in Quincy.

      Kerrington Bailey was rescued from the top floor.

      Tom Klitz and Bill Waterkotte were doing construction on the house next door when Bill saw the smoke and called 911. The two men started looking around the outside of the house to see if anyone was inside when they spotted Bailey at a second story window. Klitz got a ladder and helped him down.

      Bailey told KHQA that he was about to jump out of the second story window.

      A woman was rescued from the downstairs apartment and taken to Blessing Hospital by ambulance to be treated for smoke inhalation. Chief Joe Henning was unsure if she was a resident or a guest in the home.

      Firefighters were dispatched shortly before 11 a.m. to the two-story residence.

      The fire was under control by about 11:20 p.m.

      Both residents had smoke detectors in their apartments.

      Firefighter Jerry Mast said the fire could have ended a lot worse had the residents not had smoke detectors.

      Bailey said he felt as if God was watching over him. Both Waterkotte and Klitz told KHQA they don't consider themselves heroes, but were glad they were there to help, especially at Christmas time.