Turkey day safety for your pet


Thanksgiving dinner is one of the best meals of the year for some. Your home is filled with great smells and treats you can't find in other months.

We know you're tempted ... but is your pet?

Unfortunately, many pets can become ill because they are not able to eat foods outside of their normal routine, so here are some tips on what our four-legged friends should not eat at your Thanksgiving Day dinner table.

According to the ASPCA , there are some of the popular foods that pose health risks to dogs and cats:

- Grapes and raisins (can lead to vomiting, lethargy, depression and eventually kidney failure)- High fat foods (pose a risk for pancreatitis in animals)- Xylitol (this natural sweetener can cause liver failure)- Chocolate (Theobromine can cause elevated heart rate and body temperatures and can eventually lead to seizures)- Macadamia nuts (can cause neurological weakness)- Yeast (can expand in the stomach and can require surgery to remove the 'dough' that forms)- Alcohol (can cause drop in blood sugar)- Salt (may cause sodium toxicity)

Another item to think about ... bones. Use caution when giving your pet any leftovers with bones which can't be digested. Soft poultry bones can splinter and possibly cause blockages.

Watch out for the kids. They may think it's fun or cute to feed special holiday foods to the dog. You might even consider feeding your pet before company comes over.

The national poison control hotline is 1-800-222-1222.

Click here to view the Top 10 Pet Poisons for both dogs and cats.

What's the worst food item that your dog or cat has "stolen" off the table during the Holidays? Post your story on our Facebook page here ... we'd love to hear from you!