83 / 56
      66 / 47
      70 / 51

      Trash can fire fills Burlington church basement with smoke

      No injuries were reported in a church fire Tuesday morning in Burlington Iowa.

      Firefighters were called around 8:30 to the St. Johns Church at 700 Division Street.

      A small plastic trash can was accidentally set on fire by a priest who had lit an incense holder.

      Embers from the incense ignited papers in the trash can and created smoke in the basement chapel.

      Ten Burlington firefighters responded to the scene and spent more than a half an hour clearing smoke from the church.

      Damage was estimated at less than $100.