76 / 59
      81 / 54
      64 / 45

      Traffic blocked for house fire on Quincy's State Street

      The Quincy Fire Department blocked off traffic at 1016 State St. in Quincy as smoke was visible from the home there.

      According to a press release from Jerry Mast with the Quincy Fire Department, the house fire was believed to be caused by a cigarette.

      Mast writes that the occupant of the home was smoking on the back deck and admitted to snuffing out the cigarette on the wood railing and then throwing the butt on the ground below the deck.

      The fire burned from this location toward the house, catching the outside of the house on fire. Fire crews were able to extinguish it before the interior caught fire.

      No injuries were reported.

      Mast also writes that in conjunction with the Quincy Fire Department's Keep the Wreath Red program, each fire station around the city of Quincy will change a bulb on the wreath from red to white. This is the first home fire during the period of time the program runs.