Toxins lurking in your home
Tue, 12 Feb 2013 16:02:02 GMT —
Your home should be your safe haven, but sometimes your home is a
harbor for toxins
that could affect your familyâ??s health. In todayâ??s
report, 3 toxins that could be lurking in your home and what to do about them.
Angie's List owner Angie Hicks says, â??Consumers may not realize but there are potential dangers in your home. The common toxins we hear about are mold, radon and asbestos."
A common culprit in many homes: mold. If you have less than 10 square feet of mold damage, you could tackle removing that yourself. For homeowner, Rebecca Shopp, she needed to call in a professional.
Shopp says, â??When it first happened I was not as concerned because it was such a small area that got moldy, but then when I had it patched and a few months later found mushrooms in the carpet is when I realized it was a much larger area and it got to the point where it was growing mushrooms then I was more concerned. I had a company come out test and they went into the crawlspace,- I had not gone into the crawlspace and I donâ??t want to go into the crawlspace, thatâ??s when they found a lot more mold than I was expecting. Once I knew how much there was then I was really concerned."
â??There is a minimal level of mold in every house and a lot of times you might find it in your bathroom or your basement, but the key here is keeping it at a minimal level and if you find that you have more mold you want to have it taken care of right away. One member even said that she found mold underneath her couch. First thing you want to do is have your house tested by an independent tester who sends it to a lab to have the results analyzed," Hicks says.
â??Typically, they can â?? there are options where they can actually remove it themselves. It depends on the situation, but the majority of the time they should seek some help because once you disturb the mold then the spores tend to spread so we are trying to in our situation control that environment. The homeowner in small situations if the mold is not to prevalent then they can do the clean-up themselves,â?? Asbestos Abatement Contractor Mike Honan says.
Radon is another possible toxin that could be present in your home â?? but you can
test for that, too
â??Radon is an odorless, colorless gas that is caused by the breakdown of uranium in the earth and it can actually seep into your home so itâ??s important to have your home tested for radon and if it reads to high you need to have a mitigation system because if you donâ??t it can lead to health problems. In particular, radon is the leading cause of lung cancer in non-smokers,â?? Hicks says.
And exposure to asbestos can cause different forms of cancer.
Hicks says, â??Asbestos is a harmful toxin and it was most often used in insulation and construction materials prior to the 1980s. So if your house is built before 1980 your home might be at risk and the only way to discover whether you have it is to have your home tested.â??
If you are concerned your home has one of these toxins the first step is to actually have your home tested. And the key here is to have someone test it that is an independent and the test is going to be sent off to a lab to be analyzed. You donâ??t want the same person test it be the person who is actually going to fix the problem.