39 / 33
      44 / 34
      44 / 33

      Three-alarm fire on Quincy's North side

      917 N. Fourth Street in Quincy

      Firefighters were called to 917 N. Fourth Street in Quincy at approximately 12:30 p.m. Thursday. The fire was caused by impoper use or maintenance of an extension cord.

      Heavy smoke was visible as crews gathered to fight the three-alarm fire.

      Residents Paul Carel and his wife made it out of the rental home after she noticed fire in a closet.

      "My wife said they were in the kitchen and they smelled smoke. They walked in the front room. There was a closet in there and smoke and fire was coming out of the closet so they got out and come over here to the next door neighbors," Paul Carel said.

      According to Fire Chief Joe Henning, the fire was caused by improper use of an extension cord.

      When fire crews arrived, it had escalated to a two alarm fire. It became a three alarm fire when Henning saw fire and smoke clearly from the first and second floor.

      Crews had the fire under control within thirty minutes.

      No one was injured in the fire.

      The home is believed to be a complete loss.