The heat is back
Mon, 16 Jul 2012 22:30:00 GMT —
The heat and humidity will return this week with high temperatures in the upper 90s to low 100s. This will result in dangerous levels of heat beginning on Monday and continuing through Thursday.
A heat advisory remains in effect from 1 p.m. Monday afternoon to 8 p.m. Thursday.
Here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Timing ... dangerous levels of heat and humidity are expected Monday afternoon through Thursday.
- Heat index values ... peak afternoon heat index values of around 100 degrees can be expected on Monday and Tuesday with values of 105 degrees or greater Wednesday and Thursday.
- Impacts ... heat related illness such as heat exhaustion or heat stroke are a real threat. The threat will increase through the week as the heat continues to build.
- Precautionary/Preparedness actions ... Take extra precautions if you work or spend time outside. When possible, reschedule strenuous activities to the early morning or evening. Know the signs and symptoms of heat exhaustion and heat stroke. Wear light weight and loose fitting clothing when possible and drink plenty of water.
- To reduce risk during outdoor work ... the Occupational Safety and Health Administration recommends scheduling frequent rest breaks in shaded or air conditioned environments. Anyone overcome by heat should be moved to a cool and shaded location. Heat stroke is an emergency, call 9-1-1 immediately.