Quincy police rescue family from late night house fire
Thu, 28 Mar 2013 06:09:04 GMT —
A Quincy family is safe thanks to the quick thinking of some Quincy police officers Wednesday night.
Just before 11 p.m. Patrol Sgt. Bryan Dusch reported to a house fire on the corner of 8th and Sycamore, across the street from Washington Elementary.
The caller, who was a resident at the address, reported that she was inside the upstairs apartment with her boyfriend and 9-month-old child.
Sgt. Dusch says that when he got on scene the back porch of the two story home was in flames and the residents could not get out the back door of their upstairs apartment.
He determined that it was too far for the man and woman inside to jump and he didn't feel comfortable with them tossing down their baby.
Fortunately help was on the way.
"I could hear sirens coming so I knew the fire department was close. A couple of other police officers arrived and they were able to find a ladder around, behind the garage, around back and we used that put up to the window and I went up the ladder and grabbed the infant and then the male and female were able to climb down as well," Sgt. Dusch said.
According to a news release from the Quincy Police Department, it was determined that two other individuals were still inside the ground floor apartment. A QPD supervisor and officer forced open the front door of the lower apartment to search for the residents there, unaware they had left out the back door. No one was found inside so the supervisor rescued the family cat and then they exited the building.
The fire department quickly got the flames under control.
Firefighters say a smoldering cigarette left in a trash can on the back porch is to blame for the blaze. The fire damaged much of the second floor back porch as well as a portion of the home.