Need to know travel rules for 2009

If you're looking to get out of town this summer, you need to know a few changes to international travel.

Starting June 1st all U.S. citizens traveling by air are required to present a passport book to enter or re-enter the United States.

If you are entering the U.S. by land or sea, .you must have a passport, passport card or travel document approved by the Department of Homeland Security.

But Mecki Kosin owner of the Travel House of Quincy says it's always best to be prepared for anything.

What is your best advice?

Kosin said, "Get a passport book. It's good for ten years. yes it costs $100 dollars but over ten years that's ten dollars a year and then you have something you can hold in your hand that says I am a member of this country."

Only passport book are accepted as identification to get into U.S. embassies all over the world.

Another rule change applies to all plane tickets. Now you will have to provide all traveler identification information...including date of birth, gender and nationality in order to purchase a ticket. Officials say it will make travel safer for everyone.

Meanwhile i t's been reported vacations and travel has slowed in this economy. But that's not keeping folks at home.

Some folks are going on trips closer to home.

Folks at the Travel House of Quincy say people are heading off on nice trips, but they say there is a big difference she see these days. Folks are booking closer to their departure date instead of months and a year ahead.

She says folks are holding on to their money longer, but that could help you.

Mecki Kosin owner of the Travel House of Quincy said, "There are some really good deals out there right now in the Carribean and in Canadian cruises. There are two for one sales and other good stuff going on."