NECAC to take applications for rent assistance
The not-for-profit North East Community Action Corporation (NECAC)/LCPHA has announced it will open the application waiting list Feb. 15 for a low-income rent-assistance program.
The waiting list may be accessed online at www.necac.org from any device that can connect with the Internet, including computers, tablets and smartphones.
The move covers Lewis, Macon, Marion, Monroe, Montgomery, Pike, Ralls, Randolph, Shelby and Warren counties and the Vandalia/Farber area in which the agency contractually administers the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) Section 8 Voucher Rent-Assistance Program. The waiting list was closed Jan. 31, 2017, after being open for almost three years.
“We have currently exhausted our waiting list and we need new applicants to issue rent-assistance vouchers to as early as April 2018,” said NECAC Section 8 Rent-Assistance Programs Director Dianna Clair. “The waiting list gives preference points to the families who live and work in our jurisdiction and also for elderly and disabled applicants. The applicants will need to provide valid documentation to receive a preference.”
The program provides rent payments, for low to moderate income residents. NECAC makes rent-subsidy payments directly to private landlords for income-qualifying families and individuals on houses, apartments or mobile homes.
Qualifying applicants receive a voucher that pays a portion of participants’ rent depending upon the tenant’s income, number of qualifying bedrooms in the unit and the area’s fair-market rent. Any remaining portion is the responsibility of the tenant.
NECAC inspects all rental units initially and annually to assure they meet HUD Housing Quality Standards and local zoning standards for safe and clean conditions before rent payments are issued.
NECAC has been operating the program for more than 35 years. The agency administers more than 1,750 vouchers in the 11 counties and the Vandalia/Farber area.
More information is available by calling Clair at 573-324-2055. To apply, applicants should make an appointment at one of the following NECAC County Service Centers:
• Lewis County: 408 S. Fourth in Canton -- 573-288-3969.
• Lincoln County: 11 Woodcrest Dr. in Troy -- 636-528-7604.
• Macon County: 907 Highway PP in Macon -- 660-385-4616.
• Marion County: 3518 Palmyra Road in Hannibal -- 573-221-7166.
• Monroe County: 314 N. Washington in Paris -- 660-327-4110.
• Montgomery County: 137 Farnen in Montgomery City -- 573-564-3606.
• Pike County: 805 Bus. Hwy. 61 North in Bowling Green -- 573-324-2207.
• Ralls County: 411 Main in New London -- 573-985-2411.
• Randolph County: 1903 N. Morley Suite B in Moberly -- 660-263-6595.
• Shelby County: 204 E. Third in Shelbyville -- 573-633-2210.
• Warren County: 120 E. Main in Warrenton -- 636-456-8191