73
      Friday
      92 / 72
      Saturday
      92 / 74
      Sunday
      92 / 73

      More details released in fatal Augusta fire

      Hancock County Sheriff Scott Bentzinger has announced the name of a man who's body was found in an Augusta fire.

      Jerry R. Kauffman, 44, died in the fire at 201 Second Street.

      According to Sheriff Bentzinger, autopsy results indicated that Kauffman died from carbon monoxide poisoning due to smoke inhalation from the fire.

      The fire occurred sometime between Saturday, July 26 and Tuesday, July 29 and had extinguished itself, Sheriff Bentzinger reported. The entire structure was not destroyed by the fire.

      The Hancock County Sheriff's office, the Hancock County Coroner, the Illinois State Fire Marshall, the Illinois State Police Crime Scene Investigation unit and the Augusta Fire Department assisted in the investigation.