75
      Saturday
      94 / 73
      Sunday
      94 / 74
      Monday
      88 / 73

      Meredosia home total loss after Friday fire

      Meredosia Fire Chief Scott Werries said the cause of the fire appeared to be from an electrical short in the attic.

      A Meredosia family is safe after an electrical fire ripped through their home Friday afternoon.

      The Jacksonville Journal Courier reports Fred Holder and his wife, Nova, along with their 1-year-old granddaughter, Bianca, managed to get out of the house after Fred spotted smoke coming out of the attic. Their daughter, Samantha Holder, was at work.

      Meredosia Fire Chief Scott Werries said a fire started in the attic of the home, at 579 Morgan-Cass County Line Road in Meredosia. He said the cause of the fire appeared to be from an electrical short.

      Firefighters battled the flames while also battling the triple digit temperatures outside. Werries said Beardstown, Chapin, Arenzville and North Scott fire departments responded to the mutual aid call.

      Fortunately, no one was injured in the fire. Werries said the home is a total loss.

      Werries said his department usually receives 50 to 60 calls a year. Meredosia firefighters have responded to 19 since June 1.