Major structure fire in downtown Quincy

Photo Credit: Courtesy of Randy Loscher from Quincy

UPDATE: Sunday, October 3 at 8:10 p.m.

A large fire in Quincy Sunday, October 3rd has been ruled incendiary in nature.

According to Quincy Fire Chief Joe Henning that means there is no evidence of an accidental cause.

KHQA's Jarod Wells was on the scene at 5th and Ohio shortly after crews arrived to an already fully engulfed building.

We heard reports that smoke from the fire could be seen as far away as Palmyra.

"We were sitting inside the house, right in front of these front windows here. We heard the initial cop, she actually looked out the window first and we could see the black smoke everywhere. When we came outside the neighbor lady was on the phone with 911 and that's when the flames started rolling and they were rolling as high as the chimney," said nearby resident Chuck Lankey.

More than two hours after the original call came in at around 12:45 p.m. crews were still controlling some hot spots.

"Upon the initial dispatch our crews pulled out of Central Fire Station, saw heavy smoke so they went to a second alarm. Upon arrival at the scene they then elevated to a 4th alarm and subsiquently went to a 5th alarm status," said Quincy Fire Chief Joe Henning.

5th alarm status is the highest status possible, which meant all personnel were called in.

At the time Henning told us that they had 35 on scene.

Crews were able to get the fire contained quickly, allowing for some crews to leave. The two new trucks that were just unveiled Friday were part of the reason firefighters were able to work quickly.

"We had two aerial streams, two elevated water streams that we could used. That's something we hadn't had the capability to do in about 10 years," said Henning.

He tells us that's extremely helpful in a defensive fire like this, where crews do not go inside. "We're going to stay outside, but it gives us the opportunity to get a lot of water on the fire quickly and that helped a lot."

This building was once a compressor manufacturing facility. The last thing it housed was the Golf Attic, but at the time of this fire it was vacant. The power and the gas was shut off. No injuries were reported.

The building was a total loss.

Fire Chief Joe Henning told KHQA it will be knocked down Monday, October 4th at 8:30 a.m.


UPDATE: Sunday, October 3 at 4:40 p.m.

Quincy Fire Chief Joe Henning says he's calling the fire "incendiary," meaning their is no evidence of accidental cause.

Henning told KHQA the Golf Attic building was vacant at the time of the fire, and has been for some time.

The building's owners had previously shut off the power and gas.

Henning told us fire crews will have more information as to what caused the fire Monday morning.

Crews will begin knocking down the building at 8:30 a.m. Monday.

He could not comment or rule out of suspicions of arson.


UPDATE: Sunday, October 3 at 4:15 p.m.

We've added video shot from one of our viewers, Kenneth Tumbleson, who was on the scene around 12:45 p.m. Sunday.


ORIGINAL STORY: Sunday, October 3 at 1:15 p.m.

Firefighters have contained what was a large structure fire at the Golf Attic building on Fifth and Ohio Street in Quincy.

It is unclear when the fire began, but flames had fully engulfed the building by 1:00 p.m.

A Lieutenant with the Quincy Central Fire Station told KHQA crews were called to a fifth alarm fire.

No reports of injuries so far.

We are told the building was formerly used as a compresser company.

Quincy Fire Chief Joe Henning says the cause of the fire could be determined as early as tonight.

We'll bring you more details as they come in.