Last day for storm cleanup in Quincy

Last day of storm debris pick up in Quincy / KHQA's Jim Whitfield

QUINCY, ILL. -- I t was just about a month ago that a massive thunder storm with high winds hit the Quincy area.

The destruction was across town and left trees, branches and power lines down all over town.

Over the past month, Quincy city crews have been helping with the cleanup by picking up storm debris from the curbside.

Today is the last day crews will be picking up the leftover storm debris.

It was one month ago tonight when straight line winds ripped through Quincy.

We know those winds caused massive power outages and massive damage to trees.

T he power outages were fixed in a matter of days.

But the city is just now finishing cleanup of the remaining downed trees, limbs and branches.

The sounds of beep, beep, beep is the sound residents throughout Quincy have been hearing for the last 30 days as crews have been combing city streets cleaning up limbs, branches and brush piles. All remnants of the storm that hit Quincy late last month.

John Smith works for the City of Quincy and he said, "the streets were packed. Packed with brush. I mean they were pretty packed. Not near what it was like three weeks ago."

Smith has been taking load after load to the compost pile on the city's south side. Crews have travelled almost every city street picking up what was left from the storm that hit in the middle of the night. But city officials knew they had to keep a regular schedule of city services on top of making sure the storm debris was also being cleaned up. That's why Mayor Spring asked the Illinois Department of Transportation for some help and they came up with 10 trucks and 10 drivers to help in the effort.

"It has been an enormous task. We've had every available person from Central Services working on it. Even though we've continued to pick up garbage and recycling. The minute they're done with their routes, they go right back into the pickup debris mode for the city," said Spring.

The mayor says the city has been tracking all of the expenses associated with the cleanup and it looks like the tally so far is about $260,000. He's not sure if the city will get any federal assistance to help defray the cleanup costs.

Spring says a Quincy resident recalls a similar storm back in 19-60 when he worked for C-I-P-S, which is now Ameren.

The man says it took utility crews about 14 days to restore power to all the residents in town.