Illinois State Police officials have issued a winter weather travel advisory.
Drifting snow, wet and icy road conditions may disrupt travel and motorists should allow extra time when making travel plans.
Motorists are urged to plan ahead and take the necessary safety precautions while traveling on interstates and state roads. Public Safety is every driverâ??s responsibility. Drivers should plan accordingly and make safety a priority by driving at a safe speed, allowing plenty of distance from other vehicles to safely maneuver, ensuring vehicle lights are functioning properly, watching for snow removal equipment, and exiting the road to a safe location if driving conditions become too hazardous.
"Motorists should take every safety precaution while driving during extreme weather conditions, so that they arrive and depart to and from their destinations safely," Lieutenant Colonel Terry Lemming said. "Reducing speed, avoiding distractions, and practicing safe driving habits are crucial, especially when roads and interstates are icy, and visibility is reduced."
When crashes occur during extreme weather conditions, the ISP encourages motorists to exchange insurance and driver information to keep motorists safe and the roads clear, unless medical attention is required. Motorists can file crash reports at the nearest ISP District within 10 days.
Winter weather safety tips to consider:
- Anticipate reduced visibility and watch for black ice when approaching intersections, off-ramps, bridges, and curves.
- Avoid abrupt steering and braking and avoid tailgating by keeping a safe distance between vehicles.
- Allow enough time for travel and advise others of travel itineraries.
- Avoid unnecessary and sudden lane changes.
- Always keep your gas tank at least two-thirds full to prevent the vehicleâ??s fuel line from freezing.
- Always wear a safety belt and keep a charged cell phone handy.
Road condition information can be obtained by contacting the Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT) at 1-800-452-IDOT (4368) or on the Internet at: www.gettingaroundillinois.com.
Information in this story comes from a news release issued by the Illinois State Police.
Find school closings
If you want the latest on everything weather, stay with ConnectTriStates.com, download our
for Android and iPhone by searching for "KHQA" in your app store, like us on
or follow us on