68
      Saturday
      82 / 66
      Sunday
      86 / 67
      Monday
      89 / 71

      Hannibal man homeless after early morning fire

      Home at 805 Pleasant in Hannibal is a total loss.

      A Hannibal man is homeless after an early Saturday morning house fire.An eyewitness on the scene sent KHQA video of the house fire just before 7 a.m.KHQA spoke with Bruce Mears, Jr. who lived at the home at 805 Pleasant Street.Mears said he had just woken up for the day.He was sitting on his couch with his dog beside him when the fire started."The most forward outlet in the living room was between two recliners," Mears said. "I heard a buzzing, I saw a blue flash and my drapes went up. And when I was trying to get those under control, the back of both recliners had gone up."

      Mears said he tried to get some family photos in a suitcase out of the house but they were on fire when he got to the door.In the confusion, Mears said he lost sight of his dog.He said he had just enough time to get the door open and get himself out of the house before it burst into flames."When they say get down, hit the ground, they mean it," Mears said. "Cause, I'm a smoker and I couldn't breathe. So I crawled, made it out the back door and didn't see my dog for about 15, 20 minutes. Then he appeared."The house is a total loss.The Missouri State Fire Marshall has ruled the fire accidental in nature.