83
      Thursday
      86 / 70
      Friday
      82 / 66
      Saturday
      81 / 66

      Gas leak in downtown Hannibal

      UPDATED: June 16 at 5:02 p.m.

      Streets are back open Thursday night after a gas leak in Hannibal blocked travel and shut in nearby residents.

      City workers from the Hannibal Board of Public Works were working on water lines at 4th and Lyon streets when they accidentally cut into a natural gas line.

      Traffic was diverted away from the area most of the afternoon.

      Ambulances and fire trucks in the nearby stations were evacuated from the area in case they were needed for another emergency. Emergency workers wanted to make sure there was no potential for a spark in the gas leak vicinity. If an ambulance was called away, even starting the engine could provide a spark that could cause problems.

      Due to the fumes, nearby residents in this apartment building were advised, they didn't have to evacuate, but were told to keep doors and windows closed to avoid breathing in the gas cloud.

      The gas has been shut off, but crews from Atmos are still on the scene fixing the line breach.

      Emergency crews say the area is safe for travel.

      ----------------

      UPDATED: June 17 at 1:05 p.m.

      Emergency vehicles have been moved away from the intersection of Lyon and 4th streets in case they are called to a different emergency.

      The gas cloud is dissipating, but emergency workers wanted to make sure there was no potential for a spark in the gas leak vicinity. If an ambulance was called away, even starting the engine could provide a spark that could cause problems.

      City workers from the Hannibal Board of Public Works were working on water lines when they accidentally cut into the natural gas line.

      Residents in the area are free to come and go, but are encouraged to keep doors and windows closed to avoid breathing the gas cloud.

      Traffic is being diverted away from the area until the leak is fixed.

      -------------------------------------------

      Lyon Street from 3rd to 5th has been shut down in Hannibal due to a gas leak.

      The leak was caused by a backhoe that hit a gas line sometime Thursday morning.

      The Marion County Ambulance District building and the Fire Department were both evacuated.

      Check this story later and watch KHQA's News at Five, KHQA's Evening News at 6 p.m. and KHQA's Late News at 10 p.m. for all your details!

      component-story-more_media_horiz-v1-01
      FOLLOW US ON TWITTER