71
      Friday
      81 / 68
      Saturday
      85 / 69
      Sunday
      84 / 69

      Fumes from dishwasher overcome firefighter

      Authorities say a Springfield firefighter was injured Sunday evening when he was overwhelmed by fumes coming from a household dishwasher.

      The firefighter was taken to St. John's Hospital, where he was treated for several hours before being released.

      The incident occurred during an odor investigation at a Springfield home.

      Battalion Chief Ken Fustin said a resident had poured drain cleaner down the drain and then noticed fumes coming from the dishwasher. The fire department responded, and one of the firefighters was overcome as he opened the appliance.

      Fire personnel eventually neutralized the liquid inside the dishwasher by drawing it into a bucket and diluting it with water.

      component-story-more_media_horiz-v1-01
      FOLLOW US ON TWITTER