75
      Sunday
      94 / 74
      Monday
      88 / 73
      Tuesday
      84 / 68

      Father, infant son die in early-morning house fire

      Overnight house fire has crews rescuing three people.

      Family members of the young man and the infant child killed in an early-morning fire Wednesday in Quincy released a statement.

      Daniel Disseler, 25, and his 4-month-old son Hunter died in the fire at 515 S. 17th St.

      The cause of the fire that started about 2:40 a.m. was an overloaded electrical junction box in the attic of the home, the Quincy Fire Department said.

      Firefighters also pulled Disseler's fiancee Haley Houge from the fire. She was taken to Blessing Hospital for treatment.

      Disseler's father, Steve, is chaplain at Unity Point Hospice. His mother, Jean, is a doctor with the Quincy Medical Group.

      The family released a statement:

      "We are deeply saddened by the loss of our son and grandson earlier this morning. Daniel and Hunter were an integral part of the Disseler family and will be missed by all who knew them. Funeral arrangements are undetermined at this time. We thank the quincy police and the fire department for their efforts to rescue our family members, to Blessing Hospital staff for the excellent medical attention, and the Adams County coroner for the care and concern displayed at this most difficult time."

      Support for the family

      KHQA spoke with Blake Bradley, a friend and high school classmate of Disseler.

      He spoke fondly of a fallen friend.

      "Daniel was such an honorable friend, sportsman, son and without a doubt a father. He was a great friend while my mother was terminally ill," Bradley said Wednesday night.

      "I'm proud to have been able to call him my friend. My deepest condolences are with his fiancee and his parents," he added.

      Disseler worked at Traeder's TNT Yamaha on Maine Street in Quincy. Company owner Terry Traeder described Disseler as a good-natured, hardworking young man who had a bright future ahead of him. He last saw Disseler Tuesday night as they joked around in Traeder's office.

      "He was just, really a super young man. He had a great personality and was never down. He was always upbeat," Traeder said. "He was just a fine young man. It's an awful shame that something like this happened. You just can't believe that stuff like that can happen."

      A prayer vigil was held for the Disseler family Wednesday night at Quincy's Reservoir Park.

      About 20 people, many of whom did not know Disseler or Houge personally, gathered to reflect on the two lives lost.

      April Baker attended the vigil and offered support for those close to the victims.

      "We're so sorry. We will definitely be praying for you every day. Stay strong - God is with you every day," she said.

      The emergency response

      Quincy Fire Chief Joe Henning says Quincy police were first on the scene, and pulled a woman out of a window.

      Haley Houge told fire crews that her fiance and son were still in the home.

      "Crews made entry to the back of the structure and they were able to gain entry," Henning said. "They found heavy heat and smoke conditions and not too far inside the door they were able to find the two other individuals."

      Hunter Disseler was immediately taken to Blessing Hospital

      "Our crews attempted to resuscitate the male while we waited the arrival of a second ambulance," Henning said. "As soon as that ambulance arrived that individual was transported to the hospital as well."

      Despite the outcome of this fire, Henning said he's proud of his firefighters' quick thinking.

      "The officers were able to determine pretty quickly where the basement window was and that window had been walled over for some kind of remodeled job," he said. "My understanding is the police officers called the dispatch center back and said get a hold of the occupant and tell them to come to this location and they kicked in the wall and pulled the woman out of the basement. So the credit goes to those officers for a heads up and a job well done."

      Henning believes Houge was trapped in the basement during the fire and made the initial 911 call.