Family loses everything in northeast Missouri fire

Monroe City Fire and Rescue responded to a house fire Wednesday afternoon.

A fire destroyed a family's home near Monroe City, Missouri Wednesday afternoon.

Monroe City Fire Chief Mike Hale said the call came in around 2 p.m.

Hale said a resident reported that her ceiling fan stopped working.

When she went to check the breaker box, she smelled plastic burning.

The resident then reported seeing fire in the ceiling.

The home on County Road 238 belonged to Jeff and Mendy Potterfield.

Monroe City and Palmyra firefighters responded to the blaze.

Monroe City Fire Captain Phillip Cheek said that strong winds and warmer temperatures made conditions difficult to fight the fire.

The Missouri State Fire Marshall is on the scene to determine a cause.

The house is a total loss.

No one was hurt.