Electrical fire guts Bailey House Restaurant in Camp Point
Sun, 28 Oct 2012 19:26:00 GMT —
An Illinois State Fire Marshal says an electrical malfunction caused a fire that gutted the Bailey House Restaurant in Camp Point Sunday.
is the site of the century-old Bailey's Opera House in town. Owners Ted and Sara Lung had just opened for business Aug. 31.
"We went through a 4 month renovation. Everything's brand spanking new," Ted Lung said
Lung said an employee, arriving on scene, noticed the flames and immediately called for help. It took about 8 minutes for the first fire crews to arrive.
"On a usual Sunday, we'd be seeing more than 300 people come through these doors," Lung said. Instead, he welcomed in dozens of firefighters.
Four fire departments responded to the scene of heavy smoke coming from the rear of the building around 6:30 a.m. Sunday. Upon arrival, crews discovered four to five foot flames in the kitchen. The fire spread into the ceiling of the kitchen and into the stage area on the second floor.
"It looks like a bomb went off in the kitchen," Lung said. He's thankful no one was injured in the fire.
In all, 40 firefighters from Camp Point, Central Adams, Clayton and Quincy fire departments worked to contain the fire.
"We just really appreciate your prayers and support during this time of rebuilding and renovation. But we're going to come back with a grand reopening and be bigger and better," Lung said.
Lung says the fire displaced 26 employees from the restaurant and 10 others from the neighboring business
ArgriLogic Insurance Services
. Bailey House staff spent Sunday morning relocating what they could salvage into a building across the street. Lung says they'll meet there Monday morning at 6 o'clock for their first staff meeting after the fire. "We'll regroup" and begin to rebuild, Lung said.
Insurance will cover the rebuild.
"We're not going anywhere," Lung said.