77
      Tuesday
      91 / 70
      Wednesday
      91 / 71
      Thursday
      90 / 71

      Demonstration shows potential dangers with fireworks

      According to Quincy Fire Department and the Adams County SAFE Kids Coalition, a basic sparkler can burns at about 1,200 degrees. Compare that to glass melting at 900 degrees, wood catching fire at 575 degrees and baking a cake at 350 degrees, you can see how serious the burns can be from just a simple sparkler.

      M ore than 9,000 people were injured in fireworks related accidents in the United States in 2012.

      That's why the Quincy Police Department, along with the Quincy Fire Department and the Adams County SAFE Kids Coalition sponsored an event to demonstrate the dangers of what happens when you mishandle fireworks and firecrackers.

      Mitzi Buckman is a nurse at Blessing Hospital and she said the hospital's emergency room sees plenty of patients this time of year.

      "The most common injuries are finger burns, hand burns and eye injuries. Typically, it's around 16- to 25-year-old males that get adventurous and end up with an injury," Buckman said.

      According to Quincy Fire Department and the Adams County SAFE Kids Coalition, a basic sparkler can burns at about 1,200 degrees. Compare that to glass melting at 900 degrees, wood catching fire at 575 degrees and baking a cake at 350 degrees, you can see how serious the burns can be from just a simple sparkler.

      And besides the health issues, you can also face the long arm of the law in Illinois if you're caught shooting off fireworks.

      "Different things are illegal, bottle rockets, fire crackers, roman candles, anything really that shoots up in the air and explodes or explodes on the ground is illegal. People can be issued a citation and they would have to appear in court and pay a fine," Quincy Police Officer Kelly Vandermaiden said.

      So if you decide that you want your holiday to either start with a bang or end with a bang, make sure you do it a way they you won't end up in the emergency room.