MENU

      Chemical spill at QU's north campus

      The Quincy Fire Department was called to a chemical spill at Quincy University's North Campus shortly after 9:30 AM January, 15th.

      A member of a cleaning crew had accidentally knocked over a chemical bottle inside a laboratory.

      That crew member swept the chemical and glass into a bag and it was taken outside and placed on Circle Drive.

      The chemical was Glutaric Dialdehyde, which is a low grade acid that can cause eye, skin and respiratory irritation.

      Soda ash was placed on the chemical to neutralize it.

      Quincy Fire Department assistant chief James Pioch told KHQA two people were sent to Blessing Hospital.

      They were complaining of respiratory issues.

      Both of them have been released from the hospital in good condition

      Quincy University hasn't started classes after the winter break yet, so less than ten people were inside the building at the time of the spill.

      component-story-more_media_horiz-v1-01
      FOLLOW US ON TWITTER